Old 07-07-2012, 12:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Volunteer Cucurbita

Jim Elbrecht said:

any guesses on what I've got here?

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/l...h%20Volunteer/

Leaf, blossom, 'overall' and a tiny fruit photo.

Not a C. maxima squash (the stem is wrong). Could be a 'pepper'
squash (C. pepo) which includes the classic Jack o' Lantern pumpkins
as well as a host of other varieties, including the summer squashes.
The blossom in the picture looks very much like a classic pumpkin.

It volunteered early this spring on a pile of sod and topsoil next to
my compost bin. I *suspect* it could be from a wintermelon

No, I think the leaves of that would be more cucumber- or luffa- sized
and smaller than the Tahitian squash leaves rather than larger.

or a
squash from the Asian store.

No clue there...

I *did* grow a Tahitian Squash last year, but I don't remember the
leaves being so big-- It does have the *spirit* of the Tahitian as
it is headed across the garden at a rapid pace.

Tathitian squash is C. moschata, which would have a similar stem
to the one in the picture. Not all C. moshata are 'butternut' shaped,
but I don't recall the 'cheese wheel' types starting out so... pumpkin-y.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored