Old 07-07-2012, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flooding precautions and response

On 07/07/2012 02:45 PM, Martin wrote:
Don't they build houses on concrete pontoons in the Netherlands? I
remember reading an article about it some years ago, the whole thing is
anchored by chain to the ground so it will ride above but not float away.

Most houses are built on piles, the older houses were built on wooden
piles which still survive after hundreds of years, the newer houses
are built on ferro concrete piles. The houses on concrete pontoons are
houseboats

The type of construction I was talking about is shown in the picture
from Maasbommel.

http://inspirationgreen.com/floating-homes.html

I don't know anything about these people, just showed up in a search.

Somehow I always think of houseboats as mobile, but its true they mostly
stay tied up (not particularly seaworthy!)