Old 07-07-2012, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Cymbidiums

On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 14:08:47 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

On 07/07/2012 10:23, Pam Moore wrote:
Bob mentioned cymbidiums standing in water.
Is this the right treatment to get them to flower?
I've had one which has not flowered for at least 15 years.
Last year it was so big that I split it into 5 and kept one.
The guy who runs the Writhlington School Orchid Project said that they
need to stand in water, outside, in summer.
Does it work?I've always understood that orchids generally should not
stand in water but I'm trying the wet treatment. Not difficult this
weather!

Pam in Bristol

I should think a shallow tray to hold no more than an inch of water.
I was always told somewhere cool and shaded for the summer, but remember
slugs will go for them.
David @ the damp end of Swansea Bay

Thanks Dave and Bob.
I've put mine out the last few summers, but shady and quite dry.
Will experiment with wetter this summer. The Writhlington guy really
knows his stuff and their open day in Sept is a real eye-opener for
orchid fans. Saw they had a girl from the project on thursday's
Hampton Court prog, but talking about working in horticulture not
orchids. The school got a complete new building partly on the
strength of the Orchid Project.

Pam in Bristol