Old 07-07-2012, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Floods again!

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 15:48:07 +0100, Janet wrote:

How could any amount of planning/ man made infrastructure in a non-
flood-zone, foresee or forestall such exceptional conditions.

Note that Baz isn't on about rivers overflowing; rather he's on about
manhole covers being shoved up to allow egress of water.

My late parents lived at the bottom of a hill. The powers that be
decided to build up that hill. Dad died. Mum died. I sold the house,
honestly saying that it had never been flooded. Building up the hill
continued.

A year after the sale, exceptional rainfall did the trick. The house
was flooded. Actually the rainfall wasn't that exceptional. It was
simply that the ongoing extension of buildings had an impact - drains
couldn't cope.

So the planning messes things up.

The man-made infrastructure messes things up.

A non-flood zone becomes a flood zone because it happens to be at the
bottom of something.

Planners refuse to foresee anything.

And because everyone with any power over the situation turns their
back, there can be no forestalling.

Meanwhile Baz gets flooded out twice in quick succession (something
which you seem to have disputed elsewhere). He has had little time to
do anything to prevent flooding since the last occasion (which, if he
followed this group properly, Harry would have realised).

Yes, conditions are exceptional. But they could have been foreseen.
And people like Baz are innocent victims. They do not need
pontification from anyone. They deserve our sympathy, even if they
don't ask for it but, matter-of-factly, simply report the situation
they are in.

In the past, I've posted "are you ok" messages when there have been
exceptional circumstances where you are. I will, in future, show the
same degree of sympathy for you as you do for others.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay. We don't yet have a
"dah dah dah dah dee dee deeee" theme tune but we're working on it.

Can't tell astilbe from aranthus
But I can from an acanthus!