Old 08-07-2012, 07:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Flooding precautions and response

On Jul 7, 3:16*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 15:16:44 +0200, Emery Davis

wrote:
On 07/07/2012 02:45 PM, Martin wrote:
Don't they build houses on concrete pontoons in the Netherlands? *I
remember reading an article about it some years ago, the whole thing is
anchored by chain to the ground so it will ride above but not float away.
Most houses are built on piles, the older houses were built on wooden
piles which still survive after hundreds of years, the newer houses
are built on ferro concrete piles. The houses on concrete pontoons are
houseboats

The type of construction I was talking about is shown in the picture
from Maasbommel.

http://inspirationgreen.com/floating-homes.html

I don't know anything about these people, just showed up in a search.

Somehow I always think of houseboats as mobile, but its true they mostly
stay tied up (not particularly seaworthy!)

"Maasbommel -- The Netherlands is readying itself for future flooding.
The Dutch have realized that building higher dikes to keep out the sea
is no longer the solution."

That's an odd statement. The Dutch are in the process of raising
coastal defences to a minimum height of 7 metres above HW sea level
because they do believe that this is a viable solution. It hasn't done
a lot for the view of the sea from seaside holiday resort boulevards
though.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Where do they get all the material (and money)?
Must be tens of thousands of tons.