Old 08-07-2012, 04:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Venting about varmints

Billy wrote:
My semi-retirement consists of working Fall and part of the Winter, but
it's been one thing or another in the Spring for the last 2 years. Last
year I was able to make accommodations, but this year I'm just
recovering from being sliced & diced (March, April, June).

survival is not overrated. i'm glad you're
still kicking.

The plants I
germinated, have mostly died by now, through neglect. I just have gotten
my runty tomatoes in the ground (6 weeks late), store bought lemon
cucumbers planted on an unused trellis, and store bought basil, potted
up.

how well do cucumbers do on wire cages? ours are
looking ok. the cages are to keep the critters from
gnawing them back to the nub. i'm hoping they'll
grow quickly enough now that they are established
to give the surrounding buckwheat a challenge. if it
doesn't look like they are making a decent go of it
i'll have to trample some buckwheat.

It will be a small garden this year.

I really feel though that the anticipation of the garden has kept one
foot moving in front of the other for the last several years.

The beans will go in today :O)

Non illegitimous caborundum (so they say ;O)

el flatus das indouendo.

tomorrow i hope to get started on the garlic
harvest (if the weather cooperates).

good luck with the gardens and your health.

songbird