Old 08-07-2012, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete C[_3_] Pete C[_3_] is offline

Default under developed garlic

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Pete C" wrote

All the top growth has died off, but the bulbs are very small. Am I right
in thinking they won't get any bigger if left in the ground?

Yes, without the green tops to provide food they cannot get bigger. We
have had a good crop of Garlic this year despite losing some to White Rot
and the heads are a reasonable size, bigger than supermarket size although
not as big as usual, despite getting bad rust late on. When did you plant
yours? What varieties did you grow?

Lautrec Wight. Sown November. Always done well before. A flooded plot (part)
has meant I've lost two plantings of runners, peas and broad beans. Going to
be a lean harvest this year

Pete C