Old 09-07-2012, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Drew Lawson[_2_] Drew Lawson[_2_] is offline

Default Venting about varmints

In article
songbird writes:

how well do cucumbers do on wire cages? ours are
looking ok. the cages are to keep the critters from
gnawing them back to the nub.

Mine (western Ohio) are doing excessively well on cages. I haven't
grown cucumbers in several years and I think I should have thinned
a lot more. I ended up having to add extra cages adjacent to the
original ones for the overflow vines to sprawl onto. I think they
are densely packed vines up to about 5 feet.

The first picking was last week, but the blossom load says that I
should get my pickling plan figured out pretty soon or I'll be in
trouble (and my coworkers will get sick of cukes quickly).

I wish the tomatoes were as promising.

I like cukes on cages because they don't get nibbled by the ground
level bugs. Sow bugs are only supposed to eat dead stuff, but mine
think anything at the mulch level is dead.

--
Drew Lawson And I know there's more to the story
I know I need to see more