Old 09-07-2012, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potato Blight

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
It's here and got most of my potatoes. Both our earlies Amandine and
Leontine, our second earlies Kestral and maincrop Celine are affected and
I will have to cut all the tops off tomorrow and dispose of them. The
other maincrop Victoria seems to be OK at the moment, it does have some
resistance although I'm not sure about the "new" strain of blight. Our
Tomatoes are also unaffected so they will get some more Bordeaux Mixture
ASAP, trouble is it washes off.
Such a shame because we were getting a huge crop from our earlies, up to
just over 5lbs per plant now. Kestrals have also produced a good crop but
it will be much too early for the maincrops to have done much.
Never have I known Potato Blight so bad and so early, but then I've never
known the ground in this area at this time of year so wet.

Aargh, I think my earlies have it too. Went down the lottie to find
collapsed yellow stems. dug up the worst two but what to do?
I've signed up for Bligh****ch but as I have a humidity meter to hatch
chicks in an incubator in my spare bedroom, I can tell you that it is 76%
humidity in there as we speak, it was higher yesterday 82.