Old 22-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Richard Roocroft

Default Climber to cover a dead conifer in the wrong place.......

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Richard Roocroft wrote:

A good clematis is C. alpina and, as you can cut it down to ground
level after flowering, you shouldn't have a problem when time comes to
remove the tree - you can then put in a stake and some chicken wire,
if you want. But there are lots of others, though avoid the montana
group (too vigorous).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks to all who replied - very kind of you to take the time.

I'm swaying towards a Clemmy alpina now. Hadn't thought about the
possibility of fungal infections in the dead tree, though - thought it
would be there for years, as the 3 or 4 trunks are at least a foot
across - I would've thought it would take a lot of shifting, which was
why I fancied climbers anyway. Alpina 'Constance' looks stunning !
Anyone any experience of growing this up a conifer or tree ?

Regards & thanks again.

Roo.

--
Richard Roocroft