Old 10-07-2012, 02:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default Venting about varmints

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 08:00:11 -0400, Bill who putters
wrote:

In article
,
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

The Cook said:

I've got to find out what is eating the tomatoes and cantaloupes. I
think I am going to put the cantaloupes and pumpkins in stockings and
see if it slows the critters down. Hope whatever it is isn't tall
enough to reach very high in the tomato cages.

Do you see tooth marks on the melons and pumpkins?

Big chisel marks usually means groundhogs
Small chisel marks could be rats or squirrels
Teeny, tiny chisel marks would be mice or voles
Ragged, broken chunks could be deer
Opossums will go after ripe melons and tomatoes (partly for fluid) and
raccoons have a sweet tooth, and will go for ripe melons.

DH finally was able to run the trimmer in the garden and I can now get
to most everything now. Not that all of the weeds are gone, but at
least I can see them. Weather is supposed to be cooler starting
tomorrow. Guess I will get out and see what I can do.

At least I am feeling better this summer than last. Now if it would
just stay cool enough to get some yard & garden work done.

It's cooled down to normal-hot. I pulled four heaping full 5-gallon
buckets of weeds, plus the dying pea vines. So far the fence is holding
and some of the soybeans are sending out new leaves.

If only it would rain...serious rain...steady rain most of the day...*sigh*

Turtles have been known to enjoy the garden bounty too.

I found a turtle eating my cantaloupe last year.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills