Old 10-07-2012, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan (BigAl) Alan (BigAl) is offline

Default totally off topic

On 10/07/2012 13:01, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 12:37:31 +0100, "Alan
wrote:

The Dutch eat kippers cold for the same reason, unless they come
straight out of a smokery whilst still hot.

And very fine they are too!

You have made my mouth water with recollections of when I lived in
Spakenburg in NL. The town is famed for its fisheries and smokeries.
Smoked herring and smoked eel, direct from the smokers. Delicious!

Did you visit the Zuider Zee Museum in Enkhuizen where you can eat
kippers straight out of the oil drum that they are smoked in?

I certainly did! And the hand made sweets from the sweetshop as well as
sausages from the butchers shop there. I also still use (15 years later)
the handbrush that I watched made in the brushmakers.
That is a very special place. Well worth a visit if anyone finds
themselves in Holland.

Al.