Old 11-07-2012, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Floods again! At home and peed off.

On 10/07/2012 17:40, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 13:37:10 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

It sounds to me like your insurance company gave you less than stellar
advice the previous time if you have been hit hard again so quickly.

They probably weren't expecting the 1:50 year event to happen again quite
so quickly...

This time his house does need to be hardened against future flood risks.

It is too early to be sure but in a changing climate past performance is
no guarantee of future behaviour. We are going to have to get used to
more vicious storms and extremes of weather in the UK.

The insurers will crank up the premiums and those living in zones that
have proved empirically prone to flooding irrespective of whether or not
they are on an official river flood plain will be uninsurable.

Your flood risk is clearly not normal based on the evidence so far.

Baz isn't in a recognised flood zone. It's unfortunate that there have
been two "freak" rain events close together. Taking the "1:50 year" event
that's just on average, nothing to say that the two events can't be 100
years apart or 24 hours.

That is fine provided they are 50 year events. But we do seem to be
having a spate of 50 and 100 year floods occurring every year now and
often in the same places. Great Yorkshire Show keeled over yesterday

--
Regards,
Martin Brown