Old 11-07-2012, 12:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Venting about varmints

Frank said:

My cucumbers grow in containers up netting put around patio to keep out
the rats with hooves. I should be getting in a good crop shortly.

My cousin in northern California has actually had deer come up onto the deck
to browse the flower pots!

I went to containers on deck and below on patio years ago because of
encroaching shade and those damn deer. For other critters, I have a
Hav-a-hart trap and have caught and removed numerous squirrels,
groundhogs and raccoons. If you get a trap, get the largest one as
big raccoons sometimes don't fit in the one designed for groundhogs.
Also a good idea to
close it at night unless you don't mind catching skunks too.

Have caught a few skunks. Normally, they sit patiently and all you need to
do is drape a towel over the trap and open it and they will trundle off,
no harm done.

One time, though, we caught a skunk that was restless, slobbering,
snapping and spraying. Called in the pros for that one. (That same
summer, two rabid foxes had been reported in the township.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored