Old 11-07-2012, 07:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Tomato flavor

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 08:31:15 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

Did anyone happen to see an article in the NY Times, I think June
28?

Title: Flavor Is Price of Scarlet Hue of Tomatoes, Study Finds.

Interesting.

HB

It's why gardeners like heirloom tomatoes that were/are grown for
flavor, not for appearance, and long shelf life.

That's not true. People grow heirloom tomatoes for the same reason
they frequent thrift shops searching for vintage merchandise, they are
romancing the past. Fact is most heirloom tomatoes nowadays are
modern hybrids; modern plant genetisists can pretty much produce any
look they want in a tomato... but there are even more modern round red
tomatoes one can grow at home with flavor just as good and better than
the ugli so-called heirlooms. It's a fallicy that things old school
are better. It's not fair to judge home grown heirlooms against
stupidmarket tomatoes. I've grown heirlooms, compared to my round red
homegrowns heirlooms were a big disappointment, especially their
texture; tough skins and seedy.