Old 11-07-2012, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Flood area?

On 11/07/2012 18:02, Baz wrote:
Janet wrote in
:

In article ,
says...

I asked the million dollar question "will you continue to insure me".
Yes. Correct answer.

At the moment, they have no choice; all insurance co's are obliged,
by
the UK govt, to continue insuring properties that have made flood
claims.

Up until 2013. The agreement ends then.

Janet

Wrong again!
Baz

No she is basically right. You are about to be stitched up in 2013 by
Defra and the insurance companies working together. On paper insurance
will still be available to all but not necessarily at a price that you
can afford if you live somewhere prone to flooding. The premiums will be
loaded to allow for the increased risks of flooding. See page 4 of the
report:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/publications...-insurance.pdf

The LSE assessment of the state of the "Gentlemens' Agreement" on flood
insurance in the UK is even more scathing in its assessment. The
government has actually been cutting its spending on flood defences.

Those of us not in serious flood zones will benefit from the removal of
the insurance cross subsidy to seriously at risk homes. People living in
flood prone areas will have to pay a lot more to stay insured.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown