Old 11-07-2012, 10:59 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
Whilst I don't agree with you about the OT posts being prevalent I think the
problem is that gardening in this season is almost a total disaster, unless
you grow rice. My tuberous begonias got mildew before some had even started
in to growth, never seen anything like that before in many decades of
growing them. Whilst our little garden at home is looking pretty on our
allotment our potatoes have Blight, weeks earlier than I've ever experienced
it before and I've never had it on the potatoes like this year. Plants
aren't growing properly, Butternut Squashes are not much bigger than when I
put them out over a month ago, Courgettes are only now starting to flower
but again haven't grown as expected, Tomatoes only now have their first
flowers but I expect the blight will get them too despite spraying with BM.
The chillies and aubergines are a lost cause, just not growing despite
protection. Summer cabbages haven't hearted up, just blown. The list goes
on.
I find it very heartening that a seasoned allotmenteer like you is having problems - it makes me realise that the almost total non-growth of outdoor stuff is because of the weather rather than my ineptitude.

And on top of all else, I read the other day about the "spanish stealth slug" which is now widespread in britain, having a great time in this wet weather, and instead of laying 100 eggs a season like most of our slugs, lays 400.