Old 12-07-2012, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] reh2660@gmail.com is offline

Default Squash Borers , again ...

It seems you're confusing the OPs problem with another pest. "Squash bugs" are not the same as Squash vine borers, the larvae of a diurnal moth that resembles a wasp in flight.

On Thursday, June 7, 2012 2:18:53 PM UTC-5, Sean Straw wrote:
On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 14:03:40 -0500, "Snag" > wrote:

> I was a bit surprised to find none on the cantalopes or pumpkins

What region are you located in?

Last year, I had really good luck just going out in the mornings and
plucking the adults ("shield bugs&quot and scraping off any egg clusters
that were found (not many). Thus far this year, I haven't seen any,
and I've got a couple dozen squash plants going already. A good pair
of tweezers is handy.

>, but DE poses another set of problems . If it gets wet , it does no good
>anymore . That means I'll have to change the way I water , and will have ro
>reapply after every rainstorm or heavy dew .

Yea, I use DE for spot treatment in dry weather. I sprinkle it
through an old flour sifter. had a bunch of earwigs messing with
ornamentals in a planter, and not so much of a problem now.