Old 12-07-2012, 10:27 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eames View Post
I went to look at a job earlier were a customer was complaining that he had a strange grass growing in his lawn, when i got there i saw that it was an acorus which i have never seen or heard of before.

The question he asked was how he would get rid of it from the lawn and it had both me and my dad stumped as i didn't think a normal selective lawn weedkiller would do the trick because of the type of plant and even if the lawn was the be replaced with new turf then there would still be the problem of the seeds germinating in the soil.

any suggestions on either how to get rid of it or how to manage the spread of the plant.

we have already told him to remove the parent plant that the seed is coming from in his garden but his neighbor has the acorus growing around his pond and doesn't want to get rid of it so the seeds will still come from there

any suggestions will be much appreciated
Interesting. Wikipedia suggests that the cultivated form of A calamus is triploid and sterile. If this is indeed what is being grown, then it isn't coming from seed, its spreading from rhizomes. In which case a bid of glyphosate carefully applied might do the trick.