Old 12-07-2012, 12:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default possum IQ?

George wrote:
I've seen a possum near our garden. We have a decent fence, but we've
lost stuff in the past. (Probably to woodchucks.) I'm not getting a
clear answer from google as to whether possums are much of a pest.
It's a very dry year, so I imagine it will be tempted.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on (a) how interested it will be in our
beets/broccoli/beans/carrots, and (b) how good they are at getting
past a fence.

Thanks,

If you mean this critter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possum

The brushtails and ringtails are smart, agile, strong and determined. They
are a significant pest here stealing or damaging most kinds of fruit. I
haven't found them taking vegetables but don't rule it out. They are
excellent climbers and will beat most fences unless specifically designed to
exclude them.

If you mean this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opossum

I have no experience.