Old 12-07-2012, 01:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default possum IQ?

George wrote:

I've seen a possum near our garden. We have a decent fence, but we've
lost stuff in the past. (Probably to woodchucks.) I'm not getting a
clear answer from google as to whether possums are much of a pest. It's
a very dry year, so I imagine it will be tempted.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on (a) how interested it will be in our
beets/broccoli/beans/carrots, and (b) how good they are at getting past
a fence.

I don't think I'd worry about *those* veggies. Mine like the
compost pile & clean up the squirrels & roadkill nearby.

I think they *could* get past most fences--- but I don't see them
making the effort.

I catch a few every year in the woodchuck box trap. I let them go.

Jim