Old 12-07-2012, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default possum IQ?

George wrote:
I've seen a possum near our garden. We have a decent fence, but we've
lost stuff in the past. (Probably to woodchucks.) I'm not getting a
clear answer from google as to whether possums are much of a pest. It's
a very dry year, so I imagine it will be tempted.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on (a) how interested it will be in our
beets/broccoli/beans/carrots, and (b) how good they are at getting past
a fence.

if you're talking about the north american long tailed
version they are fairly dumb but persistent.

i knew some folks who kept them as a pet. they love
french fries.

no problems in the many years here with them getting
in the vegetable patches. no idea about fruit as we don't
have fruit trees. I've not seen any sign of them in one
strawberry patch (in the fenced garden), but we see them
all around and catch many in the live trap. they eat birds
and bird eggs if they can find them at night. raccoons
are 100x worse (smart and persistent and more likely to
raid anything they can find). we rarely find raccoons
in the live trap.

songbird