Old 12-07-2012, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Acorus in lawn

In message , echinosum
writes

Eames;964137 Wrote:
I went to look at a job earlier were a customer was complaining that

he
had a strange grass growing in his lawn, when i got there i saw that

it
was an acorus which i have never seen or heard of before.

The question he asked was how he would get rid of it from the lawn
and
it had both me and my dad stumped as i didn't think a normal

selective
lawn weedkiller would do the trick because of the type of plant and

even
if the lawn was the be replaced with new turf then there would still

be
the problem of the seeds germinating in the soil.

any suggestions on either how to get rid of it or how to manage the
spread of the plant.

we have already told him to remove the parent plant that the seed is
coming from in his garden but his neighbor has the acorus growing

around
his pond and doesn't want to get rid of it so the seeds will still

come
from there

any suggestions will be much appreciated

Interesting. Wikipedia suggests that the cultivated form of A calamus
is triploid and sterile. If this is indeed what is being grown, then
it
isn't coming from seed, its spreading from rhizomes. In which case a
bid of glyphosate carefully applied might do the trick.

IIRC, I've read that the diploid and triploid forms are about equally
common "in the wild" in the UK.

--
echinosum

--