Old 13-07-2012, 12:41 AM
berttrim berttrim is offline
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
Dear All,

I have a couple of areas on my property that appear to be infested with
Japanese Knotweed. I keep cutting it down, but it keeps growing right back
up again - and it grows fast so I have to go out and kill off all the new
shoots every two weeks or so.

Any idea as to how to get rif of it for ever ? I have heard that you don't
want to dig it up as it will rejuvenate even from the tiniest bit of
rhizome.

We have a lot of Knotweed in BC. And it's tough to get rid of.
But, if you don't mind killing this invasive species. Do what I did.

Cut the plant stems close to the ground. ROCKSALT! Put 3 or more heaping cups of ROCKSALT on the roots.
Pour about 1/2 gallon of very, very HOT water slowly on the salt.
This kills the mothers (DEAD)

Cover with a cup or 2 of ROCKSALT and let stand.
A rather aggressive way to get rid of this plant, but a permanent fix.

Make sure that there are no bushes, grass, plants, or other (alive) things that you want to keep in the vicinity of the SALT.