Old 12-07-2012, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Acorus in lawn

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote

Eames writes

I went to look at a job earlier were a customer was complaining that he
had a strange grass growing in his lawn, when i got there i saw that it
was an acorus which i have never seen or heard of before.

The question he asked was how he would get rid of it from the lawn and
it had both me and my dad stumped as i didn't think a normal selective
lawn weedkiller would do the trick because of the type of plant and even
if the lawn was the be replaced with new turf then there would still be
the problem of the seeds germinating in the soil.

any suggestions on either how to get rid of it or how to manage the
spread of the plant.

we have already told him to remove the parent plant that the seed is
coming from in his garden but his neighbor has the acorus growing around
his pond and doesn't want to get rid of it so the seeds will still come
from there

any suggestions will be much appreciated

How wet is the lawn? Acorus calamus is a plant of the margins of water
bodies.

If it did manage to establish in a lawn I would have expected mowing
to see it off.

Other than that, spot weeding techniques such as weed knives, weed
wands and weed sticks.

Quite agree, it suggests the lawn is more like a bog garden.
I know people that have that plant without any spread, even into the
normal borders.
Weed & Feed should see it off.

Acorus calamus is a monocot (but Acorus is the sister group to all other
monocots), so whether a broad-leaved weedkiller would work is not a
question to which the answer is obvious.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley