Old 13-07-2012, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default On Topic of Gardening

In article ,
Phil Gurr wrote:
"Moonraker" wrote in message

The problem with these "worst than" or "hottest" etc is where they measure
it, probably London as everything is centred there. However there are
large variations over the country, small though it is, which is why
forecasting can be so hit and miss. I have often listened to the forecast,
found it wrong, driven a few miles away and there is the forecast weather.

The UK is not a small country. London is closer to Geneva than it is to
where I live. When I
drive to London and cross the border at Gretna, I am more than halfway to my
destination
and the UK mainland extends a further 100 miles north of me. The Met. Office
have no conception
of the geography of this part of the UK and only rarely have any knowledge
of current weather
conditions - accurate forecasts are hardly ever given. Much more accurate
forecasts for this
area are given by the Norwegian Met. Office.

Actually, it IS a small country by global standards (though perhaps
not by European ones). And, while it has more variation in climate
per mile than most, it doesn't have all that much. The reason
that it seems more is that we are so close to the limit of the
habitable regions.

However, your points about it being run by people who think that
Potter's Bar is the northern outpost of civilisation are very true.
The abominable new projection used for the BBC weather forecast
shows their mindset all too clearly. Dammit, they regard Cambridge
as being at the northern border of southern England.

Last week I was walking in the Monadhliath mountains, but I know
enough to know they are NOT in the north of Scotland! Most people
I meet don't.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.