Old 13-07-2012, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default Venting about varmints

On Friday, July 13, 2012 7:41:03 AM UTC-4, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
phorbin said:

>In article >,

>says...
>

>> Apparently skunks will not spray when confined but last one I caught
>>was
>> a mother with 3 kids that would not leave the area. Fortunately the
>> trap was under my deck and I was able to open it with my pole pruner
>> from above with not getting sprayed.
>

>Wow. -- Was it one of the gravity closed traps. There's no way I can
>think of to do that with our spring closed havahart.

If I had been a little smarter, I would have sprung for the more expensive
version with a rear sliding door when I bought my large trap. Those can be
opened pretty easily. (My smallest trap has one.)

ex:
http://www.bugspraycart.com/traps/ca...x-36-rear-door

But yeah, those front doors can be hard to open. Especially when you have
an angry critter in the trap.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

First time I caught a skunk, it was in a homemade box trap with a door that slid down and latched. I did not know what to do as I was leaving for work.
My wife suited up in a raincoat with rain hat and rubber gloves and just removed the door and ran for it. Nothing bad happened.

BTW, looking through old notes, I see you had identified Japanese switch grass for me a while back. Looks like I need a new approach to pre-emergents next year.

Thanks,
Frank