Old 15-07-2012, 07:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] JonH@Underthewagon.net is offline

Default Potato Blight

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 00:26:50 GMT, Baz wrote:

wrote in news:8jrtv7ddk9h5k9pi5bh6p6e1r77d2ej2m3@
4ax.com:

Looks like it's arrived in Hillingdon. I guess that determines what I
will be doing tomorrow with my First Earlies (Sharps Express). My
Caras (which I chose because of their Blight resistance so far look
healthy.

Damnit
JonH

I think blight has hit most, if not all areas. We just have to grin and
bear it i'm afraid this year. It's not just you, you havn't done anything
wrong.

Baz

Indeed. The Caras have also got it but not so badly but they will
also have to be culled.

Clearing the tops of the first earlies cleared up the question about
what was eating the foliage. A whole host of slugs and snails. I've
never seen so many varieties in the same place. This is going to cost
an arm and a leg in slug pellets.

On the bright side, I will have space to plant out some other things
that I've got hidden away in pots. And it isn't too late for French
Beans.

Regards
JonH