Old 22-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Steve Watson

Default Power supply ? for automibile headlight pond light

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message ...
Very nicely done, Sameer! You did a good job with the rockworks. Question on
the light, however: you said to wire one to the ground and the other to the
HIGH beam? Not the LOW? Doesn't that put out too much light?

AFAIK, high and low beam are equal in optical brightness (and
electrical power). The main difference between them is the physical
location of the filaments within the reflector, so as to direct the
beam straight forward (high) or downwards (low). For garden/pond
application, you could probably power *both* filaments if you wanted
that much light. (Disclaimer: I'm a EE, not an auto mechanic, and the
above might vary between brands of bulb or automobile.)

Lee

"Snooze" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Mick, it's really easy to make a pond light out of a headlight, it will

take
you an evening to make it, plus a day or two for the caulking to cure. You
can buy aquarium calking at orchard supply & hardware, or most petstores.

Using a sealed-beam headlight is a neat idea; I'll have to try it.
I've got two 20W underwater lights, and also some spots shining down
into the water. However, the latter have proved quite unreliable, and
have to be carefully aimed to avoid dazzle. Fixing them has been on
my To Do list for a year now. BUT this spring our local HD was
selling 5-packs of the solar-charged LED lights for CAN$45, so we
grabbed a box. I now think I will replace all the dry-land lights
with these, which will free up spare capacity on the transformer for a
third underwater light, using your idea.