Old 16-07-2012, 11:13 AM
katey_new katey_new is offline
Registered User

Smile Climbing plant for shady south facing wall

Hi all – I’m hoping you can help with a bit of advice for a fairly shady south facing wall with a 2m high trellis I have. The bottom gets very little sun (maybe in the height of summer from 5pm), the middle gets sun from about 2pm onwards and the top gets a fair amount of sun – maybe from midday. But in winter only the top gets late afternoon sun at best.

When I moved in there was a clematis there that had apparently been happy for 5 years or so but I managed to kill probably by incorrect pruning.

I have a pink solanum, summer jasmine and a wisely cream clematis that I’ve bought recently for other spots but I’m now re-thinking my plans and want to tackle this spot as a high priority as it’s shaded by the house and the kitchen window above the sink looks directly onto it so it’d be lovely to have something really pretty I can admire whilst doing the dishes!!

Any advice of which of these plants would be most suitable would be appreciated – or if none of them will do what my alternatives are?

Thanks,
Kate

Apologies if this is really basic but I know most plants say on them they want full sun to partial shade but I don’t really know what that means and whether my wall would class as partial shade or not!