Old 16-07-2012, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Poor Strawberry Performance

In article ,
says...

Hi all

My Elsantas dont seem to be doing as well as usual this year.

Am I right in thinking that in rainier years more growth will go into the
foliage than fruit?

Not really; but cool wet weather can mean poorer pollination, poor
setting of fruit, lack of sun=poor ripening etc.

Also, the plants are 5 years old - is it time to replant?

Yes, their old age is probably to blame for the decline. Strawberries'
best fruiting is in year 2 and 3.

It's a good idea to root some strong runners every year (pick the best
looking) so you always keep a rolling stock of established plants aged 2
and 3. Each year, dig up and burn anything older.

Janet.