Old 16-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Stevie Stevie is offline
Registered User

That's a great help, thank you

When watering the plant I give them a good glug from the watering can but should I be giving them a soaking or just a light wetting?

To be fair, there are quite a few yellow buds but there are also a good few healthy looking ones too so maybe I am concered about nothing but it was worth asking.

I will check the temps during day and night but it is getting down to 10 degrees celcius outside so maybe 14 degrees inside at best?

Thanks,
Stevie

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
You don't expect every flower on your apple tree to turn into an apple, and so it is with your chilli. Going yellow and falling off is what they do when they don't want to set. The fact that it has been cold recently won't have helped either, they don't set fruit when it is too cold. But I expect the thing they are really missing is sunshine. They need plenty of sunshine, and I think it is the lack of sunshine which means chillies are not doing well in Britain this year.

I would say you are overdoing the fertilising. I've read use half strength and once a fortnight. Many people don't even bother at all.

You may also be overdoing the watering. Dry to touch on top will still have a lot of water inside. I leave then until looking a bit wilted. They perk up fine. They even perk up from looking very wilted when I go on holiday.

I grow my chillies outdoors. They normally do fine lined up against a south-facing wall that bakes them in the day and keeps them warm at night - in a normal year, even in last year's not particularly wonderful summer. Last year I was picking my first chillies by the end of July and this year they haven't even flowered yet. The weather is one thing I can't fix.