Old 16-07-2012, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Poor Strawberry Performance

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 12:57:51 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

Hi all

My Elsantas dont seem to be doing as well as usual this year.

Am I right in thinking that in rainier years more growth will go into the
foliage than fruit?

Not really; but cool wet weather can mean poorer pollination, poor
setting of fruit, lack of sun=poor ripening etc.

Also, the plants are 5 years old - is it time to replant?

Yes, their old age is probably to blame for the decline. Strawberries'
best fruiting is in year 2 and 3.

It's a good idea to root some strong runners every year (pick the best
looking) so you always keep a rolling stock of established plants aged 2
and 3. Each year, dig up and burn anything older.

Janet.

Plus the incessant wet will wash nutrients out of the soil so it's
always a good idea to regularly feed with high potash fertiliser such
as tomato food once they start flowering.

If as some predict the climate in the UK is going to mean more wet
summers, it's worth bearing in mind that Elsanta are prone to mildew
and if replacing you might want to consider a different variety.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.