Old 17-07-2012, 12:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default New lawn, but is it dying?

In article ,
says...

"Spider" wrote in message

I would also add to that the possiblity of 'dog' troubles - either bitch
or vixen. The fence is quite high, so more likely a fox which is able to
take such a fence in its stride. I suggest this because I see something
remarkably like a bone in the left foreground.

--
Spider

I don't know what the cause is, looks like previous flooding. It definltely
isn't bitch/vixen damage as this would be spot burning on a lawn. Unless
all the vixens/bitches in the world have peed on that lawn for 50 years this
is not the cause for the damage I see.

I agree.

I suspect that a brand new lawn (turf or seed) is not robust enough to
withstand the shading/smothering effect of over 40 cm uncut growth. So
parts died.

If that's all that went wrong, it should recover in time; either slowly
as the grassy patches tiller out and spread into the bald patches, or
faster if you scatter lawnseed mixed in some fine compost.

Janet