Old 17-07-2012, 02:05 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCeldran_0611 View Post
Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I recently received a packet of Chili seeds from my grandmother who have successfully grown some, these seeds are from a Chili she harvested from the plant she grew. My problem is that I can't seem to get them to grow, I've been watering them for a week but there doesn't seem to be any signs of growth. I'm growing them in nursery pots.
Generally speaking home-grown chillis seeds won't produce the same plant that grew them, unless your grandmother did what was necessary to avoid accidental cross-pollination.

Are you in the southern hemisphere or the tropics? If not, it is a funny time of year to be sowing a chilli. In the temperate northern hemisphere, they are normally sowed Feb-April. The thing is that if you sow it now, it will be producing chillis Nov-Dec and you need to have sufficient light and warmth in the last quarter of the year for them to grow, or in fact they will go dormant. Although maybe you are somewhere warm enough to overwinter it and get a head-start for next year.

There is beginners advice on growing chillis here.
Chillis Galore

Soil fertility does not help the seeds germinate, in fact people sometimes germinate chilli seeds in inert media.