Old 17-07-2012, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Not my most diplomatic moment

On 17/07/2012 14:57, wrote:
Janet wrote:
Since when has a rose full of flowers ever been "an eyesore"?!

I knew someone who cut off every single flower bud (hundreds) on a huge
old healthy shrub rose, just before they started to open. She told me such
a magnificent flowering would "exhaust its strength and kill it".

Their own, or someone else's? Why on earth wouldn't they just cut it
down at the stem then dig it out if they wanted to kill it?
(Anyhow, surely that wouldn't work - the flowers take energy, so if you
are trying to kill it it'd be better to make it flower /more/ not less!
The leaves woudl be the things to target!)

People are bloody annoying. :-(

Try treading the post in full
"cut off every single flower bud (hundreds) on a huge old healthy shrub
rose, just before they started to open.
She told me such a magnificent flowering would "exhaust its strength and
kill it".
She was trying to save it from killing its self