Old 17-07-2012, 08:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Bug ID wanted

On 7/16/2012 11:15 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
On 7/16/2012 10:36 AM, Don Wiss wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jul 2012, Nancy Young wrote:

On 7/15/2012 10:10 PM, gregz wrote:
Supposed to start out central pa. Chinese
stink bugs, from china.

That's what I heard, too, then I saw some show, for the life of me I
can't remember which, where these were being sold at a street market,
people eat them. They say they taste like cinnamon. It didn't appear
to be a new item on the Mexican menu. Maybe I'm wrong.

Wikipedia has a listing for them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Marmorated_Stink_Bug

"it is native to China, Japan, Korea and Taiwan."

"The brown marmorated stink bug was accidentally introduced into the
United
States from China or Japan. It is believed to have "hitched a ride" as a
stowaway in packing crates. The first documented specimen was
collected in
Allentown, Pennsylvania, in September 1998. Several Muhlenberg College
students were reported to have seen these bugs as early as August of that
same year."

"As of November, 2011 it has spread to 34 U.S. states."

This article mentions the Aztecs eating stink bugs before the
Spanish arrived:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...gs-58864.shtml

nancy

I doubt you'd want to eat the stink bugs infesting us now.
I accidentally chomped on one thinking a piece of pork chop had fallen
off my plate. It did not taste like cinnamon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_marmorated_stink_bug