Old 22-04-2003, 09:44 PM
RB

Default Cub Cadet at Lowes

I just sold off a nearly-new low-end Murray - belt clutch, rear-engine.
I replaced it with a 5 year old Cub Cadet 1864 with 48" mower deck.
It's like going from a Yugo to a Cadillac. The lawn looks much better in half
the time.
I understand that MTD makes all CCs now, but it appears to me that there is
the retail models and there are the models that certified dealers sell. Mine is
of the latter variety, with a Kohler engine and hydraulics, 3-pt hitch,
electric PTO, power steering and Hydrostatic drive. I gave $1000 for mine
used, which was a bargain. I think its a better unit than those at Lowes for
several times that. One difference may be the engine, because I know some of
the lower-price CCs use a Briggs motor. Even the best B&S is not equal to a
Kohler, IMHO.
I have read that JDs are made by MTD and may not live up to the name.
I suggest you study the CC models at Lowes, get model numbers and brochures.
Then go to an indpependent CC dealer and compare what they have. I bet the
difference becomes apparent pretty quickly.