Old 18-07-2012, 01:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan (BigAl) Alan (BigAl) is offline

Default Poor Strawberry Performance

Not really; but cool wet weather can mean poorer pollination, poor
setting of fruit, lack of sun=poor ripening etc.

Plus the incessant wet will wash nutrients out of the soil so it's
always a good idea to regularly feed with high potash fertiliser such
as tomato food..

I have a similar situation. So far we have managed to get only about a
dozen fruits, mostly small and misshapen.
Not only that, but the ripening berries began to disappear, and others
showed characteristic tooth marks, so I started to set mouse traps.

I have caught about 20 mice so far, and have not yet stopped the
problem. I would be better cropping the little beggars!

Almost everthing in the garden is about as successful this year.

Al.