Old 18-07-2012, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Spear & Jackson Petrol Hedge Trimmer Petrol Leak

"shazzbat" wrote in
:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Jeff Layman" wrote

I bought a Spear & Jackson petrol hedgetrimmer from Argos and
because I don't have the receipt the 'help desk' won't help, even
with advice. I might be out of time anyway as they apply a 2year
cut-off.

The problem is petrol leaks from the place where the petrol tube
leaves the tank to go to the engine. I tried surrounding it with
bluetack but the petrol dissolves this.

I wonder has anyone found a simple solution to this problem, or
have a sensible suggestion?

You will need an epoxy resin (such as Araldite or Isopon) to seal a
hole or crack where a solvent such as petrol can leak out. Remember
that epoxy resins will not stick to polythene or polypropylene, so if
the tank if made of one of these your seal will fail.

Make sure that all the petrol is out of the tank and tube, and allow
anything left to evaporate for 24 hours before applying the sealant.
Allow at least 48 hours for the sealant to cure properly before
refilling with petrol.

And do please remember an empty petrol tank is a lot more dangerous
than a full one, it's a bomb. Ensure there are no naked flames
anywhere near and do it all outside. Mechanics often fill empty tanks
with water especially if they have to weld anywhere near one.

Diesel tanks we do that with. With petrol tanks it's quicker and
simpler to feed the exhaust of a running engine into the tank to be
welded. Dries it out in seconds.

Steve

Thats a new one on me. But makes sense. Not hot enough to ignite the gas
but cool enough to dry it out of gas.
Baz