Old 18-07-2012, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default New lawn, but is it dying?

On 16/07/2012 13:15, SparkyUK wrote:
Hi,

Just moved into a new house after a lengthy contract exchange. During
the time taken from signing for the house, and moving in, the lawn
(which appeared fine when we bought it) had grown to the point where it
was over 30/40cm in height.

After cutting this, and an extensive rain (so the ground shouldn't have
dried out, we are left with the lawn as shown in the attachement.

The large baron/brown patch to the left was like this when the rest of
the lawn was 30/40cm in height, but once all cut to the same height, we
can see more areas of concern.

Can anyone let me know what has happened to it? It looks quite sorry for
itself and I don't know where to start, short of having to re-turf it
all.

Many thanks for any advice!

|Filename: lawn.jpeg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15160|

It looks to me as if the grass was left on the ground after cutting and
instead of drying it turned to mush and rotter#d off all but the tougher
grasses like Rye Grass.
If it dries then cut it close and collect the grass, sow fresh seed over
the whole area, give it a top dressing of coarse sand, then Water it
well (I did say IF it dries out.
If you can get hold of a cylinder mower for the next few months to give
the new grass a chance, and not to pull it up by the roots when you
first cut then you may well have a good lawn for next year.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay where we had well over an inch of
rain late night into the morning. The track was a river.