Old 18-07-2012, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Ping: Jake

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 13:10:10 GMT, Baz wrote:

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
My 2 cherry trees are riddled with blackfly at the tips on new
growth.

Ours were last year, not so bad this year. Obv. all headed for the
plum instead.

Sickening, isn't it!

It is a bit. Last year we were happy to get 6 plums, with the
expectation of more this year. And now we have zilch. :'(

Same with our cherries. All we can do is prune them so the new growth
grows outwards and not into the middle of the tree, and hope that next year
will be kinder.

Baz

Odd as, touch wood, I have found no white/green/black fly here at all
this year. Lily beetle have been out in profusion and I've had to
resort to Provado as I couldn't keep up with the squishing.

No noticeable slug problem either which surprises me a bit though that
may be down to the combo of healthy hog/frog/toad populations and an
overdose of nematode treatment. Just had one dahlia stripped bare
overnight and a little bit of hosta nibbling in the last few days.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.