Old 22-04-2003, 10:08 PM
zxcvbob

Default black walnut trees

Pat Meadows wrote:
On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:56:43 -0400, "mixter"
wrote:

i recently moved to a home with a few mature black walnut trees. i know
that tomatoe plants can't survive near them. unfortunately, the literature
i have doesn't say how far away i need to plant in order to get those nice
ripe jersey beefstakes.

does anyone here have a clue?

I've very successfully grown tomatoes about 75 feet from a
grove of black walnut trees. It didn't seem to hurt them.

I've no experience with closer distances.

Pat

I think you're pretty safe once you get out from under the dripline of
the tree. The juglone is exuded by the tree's roots.

Best regards,
Bob

--
Have a Windows® computer that is powered on for hours at a time? Join
the search for a cure for cancer: http://grid.org/projects/cancer/