Old 20-07-2012, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue[_11_] Sue[_11_] is offline

Default hedgehogs

"kay" wrote
Granity;964960 Wrote:
We have one or two in the garden most nights, but then we're
surrounded by fields, haven't seen any youngsters yet though.

After not seeing any for years, we've seen a big one, a middle sized
one and a teenage one.

"Who's been eating *my* slug porridge?" said the biggest hedgehog,
indignantly.

One year we tried one of those cage traps to catch young rabbits that
were getting through a hedge into our garden. No rabbit ever did venture
into it but we kept finding what we thought must be the same large hog
in there almost every morning, so in the end we had to stop setting the
trap so he wouldn't lose every night's feeding time.

There have been hedgehogs around here most years but I've only actually
seen one young one this year so far, rootling around among plants late
one afternoon. We are getting the tell tale signs left on the lawn to
prove they're visiting under cover of darkness though.

--
Sue