Old 20-07-2012, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue[_11_] Sue[_11_] is offline

Default What Tree

"Bobh" wrote in message
Hi guys, hopefully someone can identify this tree, thanks..

|Filename: 275cac06.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15175|

Look like a Viburnum opulus to me. The common name is guelder rose and
it's generally regarded as a British native.

It's a quite large shrub or small shrubby tree that has 'lacecap' white
flowers in Spring, followed by bunches of berries that turn a lovely
shade of sealing-wax red by late summer. Those can make a fine display
into autumn - if the blackbirds don't polish them all off before they
get that far (they love 'em).

The leaves give autumn colour too, turning bronze and an attractive
wine-red. I think it's a lovely shrub that more than earns its keep
through the seasons.

--
Sue