Old 20-07-2012, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Growing Tomatoes in patio pots

"john worcester" wrote ...

Have jus seen F1 totem tomatoes growing in pots at our local train station.
Looking it up on the internet i've seen there are also seeds called
*Ferline* F1 hybrid-1.

All very confusing for a novice. We want to grow these container toms on
our patio (south facing in north london).

Which are the best ones to go for please? Have we left it too late to have
a go at it this year? Thanks.

I assume you mean this tomato.....

http://www.simplyseed.co.uk/tomato-seeds/totem.html

It's a "determinate" i.e. bush variety that will only get to a certain
height and does not need pinching out like an "indeterminate" which never
stops growing upwards.
I would have thought any of the small bush tomato types would do the job.

Much too late to start them from seed this year. Start the seeds in April
for planting out in a sunny spot after the chance of frost is finished, say,
the first week of June.

F1 refers to the way the seeds are bred and you will find lots of F1
tomatoes and other veg and even flowers. They cross two distinct strains to
get a first generation hybrid which enhances vigour. This unfortunately
means any seed collected from those plants will seldom come true.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.