Old 21-07-2012, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Garden snails

On 20/07/2012 19:19, wrote:
I am convinced that the reason I am finding so many half-way up
my plants is that they are trying to escape the waters. I shall
start to get seriously worried if I come across any freshwater
mussels attached to my beans, but I suspect that it's only a
matter of time.

Isn't it a virus infection that rots their "brains" and makes them climb
up the nearest object? I have seen entire fences covered in snails all
trying to get to the top and be eaten by birds.

I have seen a huge slug go across my upstairs window in the rain!
Seems an extreme response to a couple of inches of water down below.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown