Old 22-07-2012, 10:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
Steve Baker Steve Baker is offline

Default I'd really appreciate some help in identifying a couple plants

On 21 Jul 2012 21:42:03 GMT, Kay Lancaster wrote:

Thanks for looking!

I don't usually try to ID DYCs (D*** Yellow Compositae) from photos, but
I'll send you to look among the Lactuca species for the first one.
http://plants.usda.gov/java/stateSea...ag eField.y=7

Except for the fact that the sap isn't milky, Lactuca canadensis
looks like a perfect match.

The second sure looks like redroot pigweed, Amaranthus retroflexus,
but again, from photos, it's an iffy ID.

That looks like a good match. The pictures and descriptions I found
around the 'net all support that ID.

Did you bring in manure or compost from an outside source?

No... except for stuff from the supermarket. ;-)

Birdfeeder?

Hmm. Sometime in the fairly recent past the birds stopped eating the
stuff in the feeder that was supposed to be thistle, I think. I dumped
a gallon or two of it somewhere. I don't remember where, though. I
don't think I would have been stupid enough to dump it in the
vegetable garden, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Thanks again!