Old 22-07-2012, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What is your favourite vegetable to grow?

In article ,
Farmer Giles wrote:
On 22/07/2012 11:46, Moonraker wrote:

Not for taste but other reasons, I think that broad beans are my
favourite. They have very few problems and they give three possible
pickings. First I use the tops when I pinch them out as a "cabbage",
then the beans when very young are delicious cooked in their pods,
finally the mature bean give another tasty option. Also they freeze very
well. What other vegetables give such good value?

Runner beans would be my choice. Easy to grow, fewer pest problems and
crops for a couple of months at least - and you can also save your own
reliable seed. What can beat that?

Nope. Sorry. In dry or cold summers, they crop very badly.
Both broad and French beans are more resistant to dry conditions.

But Moonraker's points are also good - you can't eat their tops
as a first crop, and you have to start boiling them well as soon
as the beans inside mature. You can also save and dry (and eat!)
both broad beans and runners.

Some of the cabbage tribe can be eaten multiple ways, too, including
their stems (inside the fibre).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.