Old 22-04-2003, 10:56 PM
MLF

Default for the birds

"Nedra" wrote:
MLF, You paint a terrible picture for me! I have seen just a
few Grackles over the years, but this year they seem to have
taken over. Does this mean the indigenous birds have literally
taken flight? Cardinals, Mockers, Blue Jays, and such -
does this mean they are gone for good?

Grackles (starlings) were introduced from England in 1890 into New York City
by a complete moron named Eugene Schieffelin who wanted to introduce into
America all the birds mentioned in Shakespeare's works.

Since then, they have spread to all 50 states. They can lay 4-7 eggs twice a
year, so they multiply like rabbits. Starlings also compete with native
cavity-nesting birds such as bluebirds, flickers, woodpeckers, purple
martins, bluebirds, and wood ducks for nest sites. One report showed that,
where nest cavities were limited, starlings had severe impacts on other
local native cavity-nesting species.

So sadly, I think I'm right when I say that the birds of your youth may be
few and far between from now on. Startlings collect in enormous flocks,
spread disease, and drive away other birds.

For a good explanation of the effect of this introduced species , have a
look at:

http://www.sewanee.edu/biology/cours...ntroduced.html

http://wildlifedamage.unl.edu/handbo...F/bir_e109.pdf

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)